The OPC's Competency Interview (CI) training introduces delegates to the techniques that help probe a candidate’s previous job performances in an effective and fair way drawing out the most pertinent information to help make an informed and unbiased selection decision.
Candidates also learn how to collect evidence and link previous work experience to key job competencies for the new role. Competency interviewing is a much more effective interview method for predicting likely performance in the role being recruited for than other traditional methods.
This course is suitable for:
- Line managers regularly interviewing candidates
- Experienced interviewers unfamiliar with Competency Interview techniques
- Assessors undertaking interviews as part of an assessment centre
Run over a two-day workshop, our psychologist trainers cover:
- Why CI’s can be more effective than the more traditional interview
- The key components of an effective, efficient and fair CI
- Designing the right questions for your CI
- How to question effectively in the interview
- How to evaluate the interview and make the right selection decision
The training is very interactive with extensive use of true to life role plays to help consolidate learning.
OPC psychologists have been using competency interviews for many years and we have trained hundreds of managers and assessors in how to interview. We also undertake thousands of interviews ourselves each year for our clients across the UK. OPC research has found links between an applicant’s performance on a competency interview used at selection, and his/her subsequent performance on the job.
If you would like to know more or to book an in-house course, then contact the OPC today.